Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Caran D'ache Supracolor Soft Pencils Review

Today, I had the opportunity to try out my new set of Caran D'ache supracolor pencils, with one of Cheryl Alger's, Bow Legged Cutie digital stamps. I was thoroughly impressed how well the pigment from these pencils spread so smoothly and evenly with my watercolor paintbrushes. The colors remained strong in areas where I wanted to create shadows, rather than becoming transparent, an annoying effect that may result from using other watercolor pencils. I also did not find the Caran D'ache pencils to be chalky while applying them directly on to paper, but then again this is my first time using them. This may happen as the pencils age with time. The only part I found to be challenging, was that the ink tends to dry rather quickly, so if one color had bled into another color where you did't want, it was somewhat hard to reverse. Overall, I am happy with these pencils for many reasons. The pigmentation in them are very strong, which is great for creating shadow and light. In addition, they were not chalky and none of tips broke off while I was coloring. Last, I was surprised how well the pencils glided so smoothly across the paper. The only downside, I see so far to the Caran D'ache watercolor pencils is that they can be rather expensive. I paid a hundred and sixty-eight for a set of eighty. These are definately an investment which I hope will last a long time. I look forward to creating more projects with these babies.

Before adding water

After


                            

Before adding water
After



Before adding water
After




No comments:

Post a Comment